The Chris Huskilson Emera Scholarship
Chris Huskilson played a key role in shaping the culture and inspiring the vision of Emera. After nearly 40 years, with 14 years as President & Chief Executive Officer of Emera, Chris Huskilson retired in 2018.
To honour his entrepreneurial spirit, business accomplishments, and commitment to the region and their future leaders, Emera has established the Chris Huskilson Emera Scholarship valued at $40,000.
An Atlantic Canadian student attending an Atlantic Canadian university in the areas of science, technology, engineering, entrepreneurship, or math, will receive $10,000 per year for four years. The recipient will also receive a paid, 12-week internship and a senior mentor from one of Emera’s companies.
Emera strives to be an employer of choice everywhere they work. Developing local talent strengthens their team and helps develop the big thinkers of tomorrow. Emera is committed to continuing to be a leader in delivering cleaner, affordable energy to customers.
The deadline to apply for The Chris Huskilson Emera Scholarship is April 19th 2024.
- Applicants must be entering first year of an Undergraduate Program in the areas of Science (Natural), Technology, Engineering, Entrepreneurship, or Mathematics from an Atlantic Canadian University in September 2024;
- Applicants must be Canadian citizens or landed immigrants, and a resident of one of the four Atlantic Provinces;
- Applicants must demonstrate academic excellence (80% average or above);
- We strongly encourage applications from all qualified applicants, including persons who identify as racially visible, Indigenous, persons with disabilities, women pursuing education in an underrepresented field, and members of the 2SLGBTQ+ community. We welcome you to self-identify in your application where applicable.
This scholarship will not be awarded in conjunction with any other Emera Group of Companies scholarship and will not be awarded for the pursuit of Graduate studies.
Submission and Application Details
Please ensure your application includes all of the following;
- A completed Chris Huskilson Emera Scholarship application form (online form);
- Your resume;
- A high school or university transcript (Grade 10-12, including fall semester marks);
- A Personal Essay* (max 500 words);
- Reference letter(s) (You may submit up to three (3) letters, however at a minimum one (1) reference should be provided by your Teacher, Guidance Counsellor, Vice-Principal or Principal);
- Your first year budget -> Click on this template link to open the document.
*Please write a brief essay, with a maximum of 500 words, that will help us get to know you: the student behind the application, a bit better. Topics you could consider covering in your essay include:
- What are your educational and future career aspirations or goals?
- How will this scholarship impact these goals?
- In what ways have you contributed to strengthening your community?
- Describe your experience with overcoming adversity or think of a time you had to demonstrate leadership and or resilience.
A selection committee, made up of employees from across the Emera Group of Companies, will review the applications and make their decisions on the following criteria: leadership and service to the community, academic excellence, diversity, adversity and financial need. Selected finalists will be invited for an interview with Chris Huskilson himself.
To apply, please click the blue ‘apply’ button and simply complete your candidate profile by uploading your resume. Please provide all mandatory application documents & information as requested and complete your application by clicking the blue ‘submit’ button.
Questions? Please contact our Talent Acquisition Team via email@example.com. Deadline for submission of applications is April 19, 2024. For more details on this and other scholarships offered by Emera Inc., please visit our website.