We know students have so many questions about scholarships! We created a scholarship preparation guide to help you get started:
- get started with your scholarship essays
- get tips on how to ask for letters of recommendation
- keep scholarship information organized with our Scholarship Tracker
Here are a few additional tips when preparing for scholarships:
- If you are applying for a scholarship that is offered at a certain college or university, personalize it to the school of your choice. Including reasons for your interest in each school shows that you have put forward an effort and have done your research.
- Pay close attention to your grammar and spelling as you create your scholarship essay. Be sure to have someone review and edit it. Send it to a guidance counsellor, student support worker or with us at The PREP!
- Pay close attention to scholarship deadlines and start applying early! It’s ok to submit an application 30 days in advance. Leave yourself lots of time to collect the information you need like transcripts, letters of recommendation, confirmation of enrollment, etc. Factor in the time it will take you to mail in any applications.
- Some scholarships will ask for a creative submission. Don’t be afraid to do something you haven’t done before. Do some research and figure out how to make yourself stand out. Tap into written forms, storytelling, videography, photography! Youtube “creative scholarship submissions” and see what comes up!